Why Should I Eat This Way?
Eating this way may be helpful if you have lost weight, do not feel hungry, or have an higher need for protein, such as with a burn or infection. Eating this way can help you:
- Have more strength
- Gain weight or stop losing weight
- Fight off infection
- Get better from surgery or sickness faster
A List of Foods You Should Eat
Here are foods that are high in calories and protein. Try to make foods from these lists as part of your snacks and meals:
- Cheese, cream cheese
- Whole milk, heavy cream, whipped cream
- Sour cream
- Butter, margarine, oil
- Ice cream
- Cake, cookies, chocolate
- Salad dressing, mayo
- Jam, jelly, syrup
- Honey, sugar
- Dried fruit
- Cheese, cottage cheese
- Milk, soy milk, milk powder
- Nuts, seeds
- Peanut butter
- Tofu and other soy products
- Beans, peas, lentils
- Beef, poultry, pork, and other meats
- Fish and other seafood
Blend 8 ounces whole milk vanilla yogurt + ½ cup orange juice + 1 cup frozen berries
Egg and cheese English muffin
1 whole wheat English muffin + 2 teaspoons margarine spread or butter + 1 ounce cheese + 1 egg
Peanut butter and banana sandwich
2 slices of bread + 2 tablespoons peanut butter + 1 sliced banana
½ cup nuts, seeds, and dried fruit
Cereal, milk, and banana
1 cup presweetened wheat cereal + 8 ounces whole milk + 1 banana
Yogurt and granola
1 cup whole milk flavored yogurt + ½ cup low-fat granola
Tips to Get More Calories and Protein
- Eat small meals and snacks during the day.
- Keep pre-made, ready-to-eat snacks on hand while at home, at the office, and on the road.
- Drink your calories. Pick high-calorie drinks, such as milk, blended coffee drinks, milk shakes, or juice.
- Add protein powder or powdered milk to your drinks, smoothies, and foods, such as cream soups, scrambled eggs, gravy, and mashed potatoes.
- Melt cheese onto sandwiches, bread, tortillas, eggs, meat, and veggies.
- Use milk in place of water when cooking and making foods, such as hot cereal, cocoa, or pudding.
- Load salads with hardboiled eggs, avocado, nuts, cheese, and dressing.
- Use peanut butter or creamy salad dressings as a dip for raw veggies.
- Try drinks like Boost, Ensure, Resource, or Carnation Instant Breakfast.
- Talk to a dietitian if you need more help.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Dianne Scheinberg Rishikof MS, RD, LDN
- Review Date: 09/2018 -
- Update Date: 10/04/2018 -